Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Royal Priesthood

A Royal Priesthood - President Thomas S. Monson
(http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-775-22,00.html)

It took me a really long time to understand and gain a testimony of the Priesthood. My dad isn't a member of the church, so I didn't grew up with this power in my home. It's only while serving my mission that I had an experience that helped me to understand what the Priesthood really is. My companion was having a little hard time and asked the elders for a blessing and I was really surprised, because I would never think of asking for a Priesthood blessing. So we met the elders at church and they gave her her blessing. Then they turned to me and asked me if I wanted one also and in my head I thought:"Me? No, I'm fine, thanks..." but my mouth said: " Yes, why not..." I then had one of the most spiritual experience of my life. I really understood what I knew in theory... The Priesthood IS really the power of God on earth and it's really God who works through those worthy men. Since then I've seen the Priesthood holder in a totally different way and I feel so grateful for this power that we have. Since my mission I have received many other blessings, when I was sick, when I had exams or hard decisions to make and my testimony has grown. I also had the opportunity to serve in the church on different level and working with my local leaders has also taught me a lot about the Priesthood leading and blessing the church, especially in women organisations.

So when President Monson talks about a Royal Priesthood and the marks of a true Priesthood holder, the spirit testifies to me how important it is for those men to strive to live by those marks. And more important it testifies to me how important it is for us women to sustain and encourage these men to do so and the best way is to not criticized them and live by those principles ourselves...

1 comment:

King Arthur said...

Sachi,

I can relate to your story. I too did not have the priesthood in my home as I grew up, so asking for a blessing was foreign to me as well. I think even now there are times that I could ask for a blessing and I don't.

I'm glad that you related this talk to YOU and especially that you said it's important for the women to live just the same way that Pres. Monson counsels the elders to do. This is a true principle because light attracts light. If we seek something in others we have to be willing to live it ourselves.

Thanks again for posting! It helps to keep me going as well. Also, you really do a good job with expressing yourself in English.